information for parents
The process of finding a private school where your child has the potential to thrive can often be daunting. If you have found our web site you probably have experienced some challenging moments already. We want you to know that we understand the complexity of finding the right school. The key to your child realizing their greatest potential lies in finding a program that is a good match for your child.
As a parent, you are your child's strongest advocate and your role in finding the best school for your child is critical. At Hunterdon Prep, we advocate for all students and believe that matching students with the right program is essential for their ultimate success. We strive to enroll those students who will really benefit, in important and dramatic ways, from our unique program which incorporates group and individual counseling with strong academics.
There are four criteria that must be met for your child to be eligible for consideration to enroll in our program. If we feel your child could benefit from our program, we will contact your son or daughter's Child Study Team.
- Your child must be deemed eligible for an out-of-district placement by your child's Child Study Team.
- Your child's district must make a formal referral to Hunterdon Preparatory School
- Your child's records must be sent to Hunterdon Prep by the Child Study Team
- Your child's records are reviewed by Hunterdon Prep to determine if HPS is a good match for your child.
We have compiled some information that we feel might be helpful to you as you consider moving your child to a new school. Hunterdon Prep is one of many private, special education schools in New Jersey and we encourage you to look closely at the differences between the programs that the schools offer.
ASAH, is an excellent resource for parents. Their website is full of compelling information. We especially appreciate the publication entitled, "Exceeding Parents' Expectations" that encourages parents to look for the best rather than settling for less than they hope for. This is an excerpt from the publication:
IF YOU ARE LIKE MOST PARENTS, YOU ARE LOOKING FOR:
- A school that recognizes your child for who he or she is, with unique talents and strengths, and unique challenges.
- A school that can implement your child’s IEP and can meet all of your child’s educational needs.
- A school with a highly skilled, professional staff who are completely focused on the academic and personal growth of your child.
- A school in which your child feels safe and valued.
- A school that will use the technologies and research-based teaching strategies that can make a difference.
- A school with a network of community referrals to support your family and your child beyond the school day, and after graduation.
- A school that values parent participation and recognizes it as essential to the success of a child. A school that offers the same Core Curriculum Content Standards as those required in public schools.
- A school in which students are fully included in all aspects of school life, from assemblies and field trips to school teams, proms, and the school play.
The 2021-22 school year is off to a great start! We are easing back into a fu...
Last week several of our students spent some time at "America's Grow-a-Row&quo...
The 2020-2021 school year was a challenging one but we made it and we did it together! ...
Our Junior & Senior Prom is being held on Thursday, May 27, 2021 from 6:00-10:...
Taking Junior history class outside today on a beautiful spring day! Students are readi...
We are keeping a close eye on the West Orange High School varsity bowling team! They ar...
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.